Space Heater and Heating Device Safety Tips
Written By Jamie Hall
With extremely cold temperatures in the forecast, it is important to remember space heater and heating device safety. By taking precautions when using heating devices, such as space heaters, the chances of a house-fire can be decreased.
Space Heater Safety
According to the National Fire Protection Agency, 43% of all heating device fires are started by space heaters. Of the related deaths, 85% are in connection with space heaters. To increase safety, make sure that all space heaters are well maintained, current, and three-feet away from any person or object before using. Even though it is cold, it is extremely important that space heaters are turned off when occupants are asleep or not in the home.
Other safety precautions you can take include while using heating devices are as follows.
Other Heating Device Safety Tips
• Keep all heating devices and fires in a three-feet safety zone.
• Make sure all stationary heating devices such as water heaters and central heating systems are up to code and professional maintained and installed.
• Annually have your chimney cleaned and maintained by a qualified professional.
• Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters.
• Keep a metal screen around your fireplace when it is in use. Sparks from the fire or ashes that are not entirely cooled can start a fire.
• To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, install CO monitors.
• If you smell gas in your gas heater, do not light the appliance. Leave the home immediately and call your local fire department or gas company.
• Never use your oven to heat your home.
Unfortunately, fires can still happen when precautions are taken. One of the ways fires are caused by heating devices is when heating devices malfunction or are not up to safety standards. This can be due to unsafe product design or unclear directions for use provided by the manufacturer. By holding manufacturers accountable for damage caused by their product, the entire heating device industry becomes safer, therefore keeping consumers are safer.